Why now? Following Britain’s vote to leave the European Union in June, perhaps the most pressing economic question facing the UK is its future trading relationship with the rest of the world, and this topic featured prominently both pre and post referendum.
Hard Brexit? What WTO Rules Would Look Like for UK - Latin America Trade
- SCI Belgrave Square, 14/15 Belgrave Square, London
Following Britain’s vote to leave the European Union in June, perhaps the most pressing economic question facing the UK is its future trading relationship with the rest of the world, and this topic featured prominently both pre and post referendum. Alongside continued full access to the Single Market and the various country specific “models” (e.g. Norwegian), an alternative option often mentioned for Britain’s post-Brexit trade relationships is the reversion “to WTO rules”. This option, which would include the return of tariffs on goods and restrictions on services, is most readily associated with those figures championing a “Hard Brexit”. This event seeks to map out and discuss what post-Brexit Britain would look like were it to adopt WTO trade rules.
- What exactly are the WTO rule, and how would they affect Britain’s trade relationship with the EU?
- Are there any sectors which can expect to be particularly affected by these rules?
- What short and long-term dangers could they bring for the British economy?
- What benefits could the adoption of these rules bring for Britain’s trading relationship with the rest of the World, in particular with Latin America?
We are delighted to welcome to speak:
Alejandro Jara: is a lawyer and former diplomat with 40 years of experience in international trade policy and negotiations, as well as in private legal practice. A former Deputy Director General of the World Trade Organization (WTO) and Ambassador of Chile to the WTO, he has fulfilled many high-level responsibilities as a government official in Chile, including a permanent interaction with Congress, civil society, business and academia.
This is a public event, if you would like to attend please email [email protected].
Share This Event
Share this event on social media using the buttons below.