Canning House in partnership with the InterAmerican Development Bank (IDB) will host a round-table to present IDB financing opportunities for private sector companies to do business in Latin America and the Caribbean. The event will also focus on the use of digital platforms including the IDB's ConnectAmericas portal, looking at the best ways to gain access to communities of clients, suppliers and investors in Latin America, across different industries.
Apart from access to financing, UK based companies confront many obstacles when they seek to expand internationally, particularly to Latin America. Access to trustworthy international contacts and current and high quality information about international trade to the region is often lacking.
A number of new digital initiatives have been created to overcome these obstacles and provide greater and easier access to information. For example, the InterAmerican Development Bank (IDB) recently created ConnectAmericas as a social network for businesses. This has been built with the support of globally renowned companies, such as Google, DHL, Visa and Alibaba.
In the UK, the majority of companies are dynamic and outward looking with a thirst to find up to date, simple information about procedures and regulations for international commerce, and about financing opportunities.
TO RSVP please email: [email protected]
Welcome from Rob Capurro, CEO, Canning House
Financing opportunities and ConnectAmericas: Alejandro Alvarez von Gustedt, European Representative, Inter
American Development Bank (IDB)
Panel discussion (other speakers tbc) followed by Q&A discussion
Event closes. Coffee and networking
Topics for discussion:
- Where is the best place to find up to date, practical information about the main operational aspects of international trade?
- Where is the best place to access commercial statistics, including information on duties/ tariffs and nontariff measures online?
- What are the main regulatory, strategic, financial and cultural issues that need to be faced?
- How do digital platforms create trustworthy communities and interest groups which can be turned into commercial contacts and clients?
- Where can the best articles, blogs, online courses and interactive learning tools be found?
- What is the role of LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and other social media in developing SME internationalisation?
- Where is it possible to find information on financial products and services relating to international trade offered by local banks in Latin America?
- How can UK SMEs access financing opportunities through consolidated information on financial and technical assistance products that are available via the ConnectAmericas website?
- How can UK SMEs make the most of the InterAmerican Investment Corporation and the Multilateral Investment Fund?